For a long time, I did not have a proper light in my bedroom. The only plug controlled by a switch was inside the closet, so I plugged a lamp in it and passed the cord under, and was limited in where I could place it.
I thought it would be cool to have a light above the closet, as it would be the easiest way to do it, without needing to go in the attic, which is hard to move around in as I have a low pitched roof.
This was the plan:
I started playing with the idea for a bit and even made the first hole but then realized something weird, the inside of the wall was not backed with another sheet of drywall, instead it seemed to be a rather large wall cavity of emptyness. I sorta suspected it may be the chimney for the hot water heater, but it seems that should be a bit further.
Upon further inspection that hollow space was not that, as I looked up and could not see anything I shoved in the hole. I tried to figure out what was in there but ended up just moving on.
I used a phone line to pull the wire as I was able to easily drop it down the hole to hit where the plug was. I made a small hole above the plug to make it easier to see. My Blackberry Pearl was a great help for this as it fits perfectly in the width of a receptacle box, so I was able to take upwards pictures to see if my wire was in fact coming down, and not getting stuck somewhere in that empty space. It seems about half way up the wall there is drywall on the other side, so it took a few tries to get the wire to fall in the proper area.
Getting some progress now, the socket and conduit now installed.
And connected the wire inside the plug in the closet, which was very tricky. So many marrets in one box... I don't know whether or not I surpassed the maximum taken volume, but I made sure they were very well tight and inserted them in and managed ok.
This is the final result:
Just need to do a bit of drywall patching now.
That fixture was about $2 at Canadian Tire. A real steal!!!
I plan to put a nicer looking fixture eventually.